Sunday, November 9, 2014

Dorm Room Essentials: Snacks

     Figuring out healthy eating habits during the school year can often be difficult. As the work load starts to pick up during the end of the semester, eating healthy tends to be the absolute last thing on your mind. Here are some of my favorite snacks to keep close by if I need a mid-afternoon pick me up or a late night snack!

ONE// Fruit. I love fruit. Berries are by far my favorite, but I also love a big crunchy apple or a perfectly ripe plum. Fruit is a quick snack to grab on the run and it is really filling and good for you! Next time you are in Alliot, grab a few extra bananas or a couple apples on your way out to munch on when you are spending a late night studying!

TWO// Trail Mix. I love trail mix but I am really picky about it. Personally, I cannot eat tree nuts, so I tend to stay away from trail mix with nuts in it. I opt for the dried fruit blend or granola. They are a super quick energy booster when I find my eyelids slowly closing after looking at a computer screen for hours on end. My tip is to buy this in bulk. The Costco sized trail mix is often cheaper and gives you a lot more for your money (plus it is delicious!).

THREE// Popcorn. This has been my recent obsession. One of my suite mate's mom makes AMAZING popcorn, and she has given us a huge bag of it a few times. We literally demolished it. Slightly salted popcorn is prefect for a movie night with your friends or a quick snack when you are craving something salty and crunchy. My favorite pick for pre-popped popcorn is the Buddha Bowl Himalayan Pink Popcorn. It is all natural and made with coconut oil, so there is a slight coconut taste too. It is lightly salted and totally delicious! Plus it is all organic and gluten free and comes in a massive bag to keep your tummy satisfied for a few weeks!
So yummy!
[via]


FOUR// Peanut Butter. I love peanut butter. It is the perfect blend of salty and sweet and really versatile! It is perfect for whipping up a quick PB&J for a lunch on the go or to slather onto a banana for that little boost of protein in your mid-morning snack. Skippy is my peanut butter of choice!

FIVE// Granola bars. Granola bars should be a staple in every dorm room. They are perfect for a breakfast on the go or a quick afternoon snack. I really enjoy Luna Bars and Cliff Bars (they just came out with new seasonal flavors like pumpkin pie and gingerbread!) Look for ones that are low in calories but have a high protein content to keep you fuller, longer.
I am dying to try the peppermint stink one! Anything peppermint I adore!
[via]


SIX// Hummus. I adore hummus. My favorites are probably the garlic or the fire roasted pepper kinds. It is great for dipping veggies or for a yummy spread on a sandwich. Plus, it has a ton of protein so a little goes a long way!

SEVEN// Cheese sticks. I love cheese and I will be the first to admit it. I often find that if I have a large block of cheese in the fridge, I will most likely eat more of it in one sitting than I am supposed to. This is why I opt for the pre-packaged cheese sticks. I know exactly the perfect quantity to eat with them and plus it gives me a little bit of calcium throughout the day (because I am really not a fan of milk).

EIGHT// Veggies. Veggies are always good to keep in the fridge whether it be cucumbers, peppers or baby carrots. When you find yourself craving the crunchiness of chips, opt for a handful of veggies. Plus you can eat more of them without all the guilt and they are a lot better for you! You can also pair them with hummus or guacamole for a fool proof and filling snack!

NINE//Seltzer Water. I am a Diet Coke addict. I just love Diet Coke, but it really is not the best thing for you. So when I find myself craving a bubbly drink, I will often reach for Seltzer water. Often times when we think we are hungry, it is just our body telling us that we are thirsty. During busy weeks I find that I neglect drinking water even though it is really important. Whether you like your seltzer water flavored, plain or mixed with a little juice (cranberry juice and seltzer is my favorite) it is always a good thing to keep on hand!
Polar has been coming out with some crazy flavors recently! I think the candy cane and granny smith apple ones would be good. I am not sure if I would like the eggnog one though!
[via]


TEN// Cereal. Cereal is always good to keep on hand. While you may be drawn towards Coco Puffs or Lucky Charms, try to stay away. Look for cereals that are sweet but also high in fiber to keep you fuller, longer. Cereal is perfect to throw in a bag and munch on you way to class or to sprinkle on top of yogurt for a delicious breakfast.

     So next time you are at the grocery store looking for snacks to keep on hand, try to pick some of these up. Not only will they help satisfy any cravings, but they are also healthy too!

Love,
Susanna

Questions? Comments? Just wanna say hey?
Email me HERE
Tweet tweet @shigosusanna
Instagram @shigosusanna
or leave a comment down below!!

What am I listening to?


No comments:

Post a Comment