Wednesday, May 18, 2016

The End?

     I never thought I would write this post to be completely honest with you. For some reason I had this grand idea in my head that college would last forever. It was something that never ended or only ended when you wanted it to. Trust me, I never wanted it to end.
     I guess it still hasn't hit me yet. Between the "congrats" and the "goodbyes" I am left confused and unsure of what comes next. It just feels like the typical summer vacation, one that I have gotten used to over the 16 years of my education. I think it will hit me once August rolls around and I find myself not making the trek back up to Vermont.
     I was never supposed to go to Vermont. I was never supposed to go to school at SMC. I thought that New York City was where I would spend the golden years. Boy, was I wrong. That rainy day in the summer 2011, the khaki shorts and blue rain jacket. The humid heat. The smell of freshly cut grass. The calm of an empty campus. For some reason, everything fit perfectly, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

     "You get a weird feeling when you're about to leave a place, like you'll not only miss the people you love but you'll miss the person that you are now at this time and place because you'll never be this way ever again."

    This quote is one of my favorites and one that I feels applies to my time at SMC. Missing the ones that I have grown to adore is an understatement. To the faculty and staff, the St. Mike's community continues to astonish me with their love and compassion each and every day. They are the type of people that make you want to become a better person, and I think everyone should surround themselves with people like that. They believe in you and encourage you. They tell you that you are wrong and help you learn from your mistakes. They listen and think before they speak. They love unconditionally. They put a smile on your face even in the gloomiest of days. It has been a pleasure every day to be able to see your faces around campus and speak with you. 
     Thanks to everyone who believed in me. To my parents, for not only paying for this education but encouraging me to follow my dreams. Thanks for pushing me to fall in love with school. That love of learning has made leaving SMC so incredibly difficult. Thanks to my other family members, especially my SMC Alumni family members. Thanks for convincing me to look at SMC, you always knew deep down inside that I would love it. Thanks for sharing your stories of living in the 300's or celebrating P-Day. Thanks for making your mark on a place that I love. I can only hope to have made as much of a lasting impression as you have on SMC. 
     Finally to my friends and fellow graduates of the class of 2016, wow guys, we did it. Seriously though, who would have thought that we, yes, I'm talking about us, would graduate? I know I had my doubts. Heck, I assumed we would all just stay there forever. I guess the saying "all good things must come to an end" is real. Our 4 years were better than good, they were great. They were filled with warm sunny days, construction waking us up at 7am and countless laughs and good times. We had a good run guys. Be proud of all that we have accomplished. 4 years may seem like a long time, but clearly it goes by faster than anyone could imagine. Congrats friends, I'll miss ya.


Love,
Susanna

P.S.- as for where this blog is going, I'm not entirely sure. I'll probably revamp it, but I guess we will just have to wait and see. So, stay tuned. 
   
Questions? Comments? Just wanna say hey?
Email me HERE
Tweet tweet @shigosusanna
Instagram @shigosusanna
or leave a comment down below!

What am I listening to?

No comments:

Post a Comment