Thursday, November 6, 2014

Don't Worry, Be Happy

     It is tough to be happy all the time. Even the happiest of people have their bad days or get into a bad mood funk for a little bit. Some days can seem like the pretty typical "I woke up on the wrong side of the bed days" while others might feel like you are jumping off of Mt. Crap into the Desert of Doom. Either way, it happens to all of us. We get stressed beneath piles of work and nothing can seem to take us out of it. We all have bad days. I know that I definitely do.

     Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays because it means that Christmas (my favorite holiday) and Black Friday (my favorite day) are right around the corner. I love Black Friday because I get to spend the day with my mom (hey mom!) and I get to buy gifts for people. There is something in doing a kind act for someone that instantly makes me happy. I have channeled that energy of that day into my life when I feel like I am in a funk. I realized that I can instantly boost my mood by doing something nice for someone else. Kindness can change a lot in our world. For strangers. For people you have a personal connection with. You can instantly become happier by going out of your way to do something nice for someone else.

     We often get so consumed in our bad days that we forget to notice the good that we can do in the place that we live. Random acts of kindness don't have to be crazy, outlandish acts, just little things to tell people that you care. Here are some of my favorites on a college campus!

ONE// Smile. This one is soooooo simple and often people forget that a smile can go a long way. I learned in my sociology class this semester about this thing called ethnomethodology. It is basically a way of understanding the way that people make sense of the world by noticing their experiences in their day-to-day life. Have you ever noticed that you put your head down to avoid eye contact with strangers? Next time try sharing a smile and eye contact with a stranger. You will get the instant feeling of happiness and they will feel it as well.
I took this picture of my friend Duff at our rugby game this past weekend. I adore how happy she looks in this picture and it just makes me so happy!

TWO// Buy someone coffee. The line at Einstein's or Cafe Cheray can often get long. So ask the person behind you their order and say that you have got it covered. If you have ever had anyone buy  coffee for you, you know how it can instantly change your mood. So return the favor. Not only does it make you feel good, but it will also boost the mood of a stranger.
This picture is from last year when I opened the top of my latte at Dunkin Donuts to cool it off. I found this adorable heart and my day was instantly made. I <3 DD.


THREE// Offer someone your seat. The library and Dion can often get crowded. I have a ton of friends that have "their seat" in these places. But often times you can see the stressed out faces of students during crunch time when they are tirelessly looking for a seat to study. We often get so attached to our "seats" that we forget to notice that the act of giving them up is such an easy way to help a person out. Doing this will likely make a person's day.

FOUR// Hold open a door. This one happens all the time on campus and it is something that I am entirely thankful for. People will often go out of their way to open and hold doors for strangers around campus. If you have ever had your hands full and tried to open a door you know how frustrating it can get. Having a stranger run across the room to open a door for you can instantly make you feel better. So do it for someone else to return their favor.

     No matter how you choose to spread the love, there is no better time to do it then when you are feeling down in the dumps. On those days, being kind to others may seem like the absolute last thing that you want to do, but not only will it boost your mood but it will impact the person on the receiving end in a positive way as well. So make your day better by helping someone else out as well!

Love,
Susanna

PS- We are competing in NATIONALS this weekend at Rutgers University in NJ. If you are in the area, feel free to stop by! Our game is at 5 (maybe 5:30), so come on down!

Questions? Comments? Just wanna say hey?
Email me HERE
Tweet Tweet @shigosusanna
Instagram @shigosusanna
or leave a comment down below!

What am I listening to???
(im OBSESSED with Hozier. Trust me, he will be in a favorites post soon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment