Thursday, March 27, 2014

Time Management Tips for the Procrastinator

     I am not sure if I would call myself a procrastinator. I don't complete an assignment the day it was assigned nor do I wait for the last minute to do things. I fall somewhere in the middle. Personally, I think how we manage our time varies from person to person. I can say personally, that the transition from high school to college was mainly based on how you figure out to manage your time.In college you have 10 times more free time than in high school, but you have 10 times more things to complete. It takes longer for some people while others just fall right into a great routine.

     The past year has been hectic. Between 4 classes, giving tours, rugby practice and games and keeping up this blog it is sometimes easy for me to get overwhelmed. I am busy person, so I figured I would share some of my time management tips for all you procrastinators out there!

1. Use a planner! I write down every tour, every homework assignment, every practice and everything in between in my planner. I use the space for each day in my planner to write down what needs to get done for that day, while my monthly calendar is color coded to tell me large events and assignments.
I personally have a Lilly Pulitzer planner, and while expensive, I use the living heck out of it. For me, it was well worth the money that I spent on it if it means keeping me organized.
[via]


2. Schedule some "Me Time". I know, it may sound kind of weird, but for me, it is a necessity. My "me time" during the week takes place from Friday after my rugby practice to Sunday at noon. It may make me sound like a horrible student, but during this time I will not do homework. I do a ton during the week so I use this time to do other things like write blog posts, catch up with friends, do laundry or sleep (most of the time I am probably catching up on sleep).

3. Keep you professors informed! The lovely thing about professors here at SMC is that they are always willing to help you out. If one week is particularly crazy, it is best to keep them up to date on what is going on in your life, especially if that means having to hand in an assignment late. Hey, it happens. it's not going to be the end of the world if you ask for an extension on an assignment.

4. Prioritize! Every one's priorities are different, so I am not going to sit here and tell you that homework needs to come first. For me, I have a pretty unique perspective on my GPA. While I aim to keep it as high as I possibly can achieve, I am more concerned about gaining life experiences and making the personal connections with my professors, employers and peers. While I do my absolute best to keep my grades up, not doing so well on a test or quiz  is not going to kill me. As long as I work as hard as I possibly can and do my assignments to the best of my ability, I am happy with my accomplishments. 

Moral of the story is, figure out what works best for you! 

Love,

Susanna


Questions? Comments? Just wanna say hey?
Email me HERE!
Tweet Tweet @shigosusanna
Leave a message down below!


What am I listening to?


[I hope my readers don't take this post as unappreciative of my education. My education means the world to me. I wouldn't be here it if I didn't find it to be important.  I value my education, but I also value real world experience and gaining connections that will be able to propel me in life. It is a give and take between the two.]


3 comments:

  1. Hey Sussana,

    I liked the way you represented the way time could be managed and streamlined. Any approach it could be but when the term time management comes into picture, I think that time tracking keeps utmost importance at any sort of segment. I personally believe that one who has got good control over the time helps manage the work in every possible aspects to be streamlined and managed. I personally use the cloud based time tracking software from Replicon (http://www.replicon.com/time-tracking-softwares.aspx) for the time tracking and management to be ahead with all possible aspects.

    Scott!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Tips!
    Thanks for sharing this post.
    With development in time and technology Time Tracking Tool plays an important role for managing time efficiently. We can track the time allotted for completing any task and thus plan further.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Class College Education training Beauty teaching university academy lesson  teacher master student  spa manager  skin care learn eyelash extensions tattoo spray

    ReplyDelete